For whatever reason, a career in search engine optimisation seems appealing to you. You are quite set on the idea of setting up your own seo services agency in order to perform seo for other people.
You a little bit about it but not enough to give you the confidence to start your own company. So where do you start? How can you become more of an expert in seo?
Questions we’ll answer shortly. There still remains a high demand for digital marketing professionals. So much so that the commanding salary if you were employed could be quite high. When you look at the potential of starting your own seo company you will quickly find that the income potential is far greater than being employed. Having said that starting and running a digital marketing agency is a lot more responsibility and work than working for someone else. In some cases you may be better off starting as a freelance seo consultant. This way would require less business management although you will still need to obtain clients.
As of 2020 there are no mainstream recognised qualifications for seo. You can find certification for skills such as Google Ads.
Don’t get hung up on the word ‘expert’ though. Many people we know feel that expert status is so far away from them, when in fact you’re an expert if you know a little more than your audience. That’s really all there is to it.
Here are a few of the things that you should know or aim to know before moving any further forward.
- Be able to explain how search engines work in laymen’s terms.
- Understand the fewest ranking factors that get results. (This will require ongoing testing on your behalf).
- Have a good understand of the four core areas of seo (Keyword research, on page seo, off page seo and technical seo).
- Build your own projects that you can perform seo on.
- Focus on a small industrial segment. This will help you to be perceived as more as an expert.
- Always be collecting data based upon the tests you perform.
The best way to learn is to get out there and do it. One your own projects but also being able to speak about it proficiently so that you can attract clients too.